Summer is the season of Vata and Pitta. Heat abounds and we must help our bodies cope with the warmer weather. The sun takes away the strength of the people and the cooling qualities of the earth. It is the debilitating period.
Here are some things you can do to adjust to the scorching days of summer.
- This is the time of year to conserve your energy. Leisurely activities are best.
- Keeping the body cool is recommended, as overheating can cause a Pitta imbalance, So take bath with normal water and anoint the body with sandal paste.
- Rest and relaxation are in order. This is a great time for the typical “summer vacation”.
- One can take a nap during the day since nights are shorter in summers. But nap is generally prohibited in other seasons, except in certain health conditions.
- Sleep for 7 – 8 hours at night.
- Surround yourself with calming soft colors and fragrances.
- Take extra care of your feet, as warm weather shoes tend to leave feet cracked and dry. You can apply sesame oil to the feet daily. Oil application to the feet, not only relives cracks, numbness or pain in feet but also improves eye sight.
- Wear natural fibres such as cotton to allow your skin to breath. Prefer to wear light color dresses like yellow, light blue or green or pink. These colors help to calm Pitta.
- One can wear pearl pendant or ring. Pearl helps to pacify Pitta.
- Exposure to too much sun or too much exertion should be avoided.
- Protect yourself from sun. Do not go out during the hottest time of the day.
- Do not overdo anything – avoid over work, over strain or excess exercise.
- Use suitable creams and oils on the body to prevent damage to the skin due to excess heat. One can use Aloe Vera gel for the face and apply coconut oil or ghee or ksheerabala oil for the body.
- Place a piece of cucumber / potato or cotton dipped in rose water on the eyes. As eyes is the seat of Pitta, this helps to relax and rejuvenate the eyes.